Cellular Smart Meter
About Cellular Water Meters
Leak Alert Notifications
Customer Dashboard: EyeOnWater
Create an EyeOnWater Account
Follow these steps to create your account on EyeOnWater:
- Access EyeOnWater to create a new account and download the EyeOnWater app: eyeonwater.com
- Create an account using your Billing Zip Code and Customer # noted on your TCPUD Utility bill. Use only the numerical digits from the account # and remove the hyphen. (i.e. 001234-000 = 001234000) For help, including multiple accounts in one dashboard, visit helpeyeonwater.com/creating-an-account/
Don't want to use the EyeOnWater app? No problem! Just complete a Cellular Water Meter Leak Notification Form in order to receive potential leak notifications.
Note that TCPUD will also monitor your Cellular Water Meter for potential leaks; please do not remove email@example.com from Leak Alerts when setting up EyeOnWater.
Q. Who will receive the smart meter?
As part of a three-year Capital Infrastructure Project, the TCPUD is replacing approximately 3,500 water meters throughout the TCPUD service area by 2024. Phase 1, completed in 2022, replaced nearly 800 water meters in the Dollar Point and Upper and Lower Highlands Neighborhoods, and on Meadow Brook Drive and Panorama Drive. Phase 2 includes the replacement of nearly 1,200 water meters in the downtown Tahoe City corridor, Comstock Acres, Cathedral Heights, Alpine Peaks, and the Tahoe Meadows/McKinney locations. Phase 2 is expected to be completed by November 2023. Phase 3 (2024) meter replacement locations will be identified at a later date. For more information about the project, visit the Smart Meter Replacement Program Project Page.
Q. Who will install the new meters?
- The TCPUD Utilities Department will install the meters. The utilities crew can be identified by TCPUD logo’d shirts and trucks.
Q. Why do meters need to be replaced?
- The water meters being replaced were installed from 2007 to 2009, have a useful life of approximately 15 years and new technology is now available to improve meter functionality for both the customer and TCPUD.
Q. Are the new meters the same as the old ones?
- No. Existing meters will be replaced with smart meters, which use the Beacon Cellular Smart Meter Technology to transmit data via cellular four times per day, eliminating the need to obtain readings directly from the meter, and therefore improve efficiency of the meter reading.
Q. Will my water service be interrupted during the installation?
- No. There will be no interruption to your water service.
Q. Do I need to be home for the meter replacement work?
- No. You do not need to be home.
Q. How much will the meter cost me?
- There is no charge for the new meter replacement.
Q. Will my water bill increase?
- No. Customers identified to receive a replacement water meter as part of the Project will not see any additional charges or increases to their water bill.